Saturday, May 26, 2018
Used often to describe THE CONQUEROR WORM (UK title: WITCHFINDER GENERAL), the term "disturbing" hits as close to the mark as anything. Bleak, sadistic and fatalistic, Tigon's 1968 film reflects the despair of the human soul when faced with being accused of a witch by someone who has total power over the decision... and the fate of the victim.
Vincent Price plays Matthew Hopkins, Witchfinder (a role that the director originally wanted Donald Pleasance to play), a dark, imposing figure whose duty is to seek out and punish the witches that seem to have sprung up like poisonous mushrooms all over the English countryside. Never has Price been so sinister -- or deadly.
The real Matthew Hopkins was responsible for about 100 witch trials (and subsequent executions). His story is told, along with the behind-the-scenes making of WITCHFINDER GENERAL in the June 2018 issue of FORTEAN TIMES.
Friday, May 25, 2018
Thursday, May 24, 2018
Coming just in time for this summer's Monster Bash convention is the companion magazine's 33rd issue. Click HERE to order.
Creepy Classic Movies presents MONSTER BASH magazine #33, Winter 2018. Artist Daniel Horne depicts Fredric March's 1931 portrayal of Mr. Hyde on the cover.
Atomic Age Monsters
The Last Spook Show
Time Machine: Frankenstein and Dracula
The Many Faces of Jekyll and Hyde
Mothman: Real Life Monster
...and much more!
56 pages black & white, color centerfold (it's G-rated!), plus color cover!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Prepare to be "creeped" out! Richard Sala has announced the first annual THE CREEPS SPOOKTACULAR, due to be released on August 15th. The perfectbound edition is priced at $9.95 and will reprint the best of the first issues of this very well done homage to the Warren black and white horror comics. Pre-order HERE.
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
The excellent LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS (#40) is due out next month. For any lover of Hammer Horror, Richard Klemensen's 'zine is not to be missed. This issue focuses on the Quatermass series. Pre-order your copy HERE.
The three BBC serials devoted to Prof. Bernard Quatermass were huge hits on British television in the 1950s. Hammer made wonderful versions of the first two - The Quatermass Xperiment (1954) and Quatermass 2 (1956). But it would be 1967 before Hammer produced the most intelligent feature film version of the three - Quatermass and the Pit. Are we now the Martians? Find out the complete history behind this landmark science-fiction classic.
- We Are the Martians Now... The Making of – Quatermass and the Pit by Bruce G. Hallenbeck.
- Rudolph Cartier - The Man Behind the BBC Quatermass. – Interview by Chris Knight.
- 'Quatermass Speaks!' John Carpenter on Hammer, Horror and the Importance of Bernard Quatermass. – Interview by Constantine Nasr.
- Hammer: Genesis - This Is How It All Began. – The story of the Carreras and Hinds families, the early years of Hammer and Exclusive Films - and what lead up to the Hammer we would all know and love. Special Feature by Denis Meikle.
- Marie Devereux – (The Stranglers of Bombay, The Brides of Dracula & The Pirates of Blood River) – a visual tribute to this Hammer Films' Icon.
- "The Price of Candy" – The Making of Never Take Sweets From A Stranger. Thoughtful and powerful look at child molestation and murder – with perhaps the worst monster in any Hammer film. Only film Hammer Producer Anthony Hinds was ever proud of. By Constantine Nasr.
- Front fold out cover by Mark Maddox
- Back Cover by Shane Ivan Oakley
- Inside front fold out cover by David Brooks
- Inside Front Cover by Paul Watts
- Inside Back Cover by Stewart McKissick